|Mission 707: 1,309 bombers and 738 fighters are dispatched to hit front line strongpoints and tactical targets in the Metz and Thionville, France areas; 4 bombers and 5 fighters are lost:
1. 460 B-17s are dispatched to hit transportation targets at Thionville (47); 276 hit the secondary, the marshaling yard at Saarbrucken; targets of opportunity are Saarlautern (34) and other (3); 4 B-17s are lost, 4 damaged beyond repair and 96 damaged; 8 airmen are KIA, 6 WIA and 27 MIA. Escort is provided by 187 of 192 P-51s without loss.
2. 437 B-17s are dispatched to hit transportation targets at Metz (345); 41 hit the secondary, the marshaling yard at Saarbrucken; 28 hit Koblenz; 3 B-17s are damaged beyond repair and 13 damaged; 19 airment are KIA. Escort is provided by 176 of 184 P-51s without loss.
3. 402 B-24s are dispatched to hit transportation targets at Metz (385); 15 hit the secondary, the marshaling yard at Saarbrucken; 1 B-24 is damaged beyond repair and 5 damaged. Escort is provided by 113 of 119 P-51s; 3 P-51s are damaged beyond repair.
4. 10 of 10 B-17s fly a screening force mission.
5. 139 P-47s and P-51s fly fighter-bomber missions in the Frankfurt-Lannheim area of Germany; 1 P-47 and 4 P-51s are lost; 4 pilots are MIA. 6. 30 of 32 P-51s fly a scouting forces mission.
Mission 708: 5 B-17s and 12 B-24s drop leaflets in France, the Netherlands and Germany during the night.
The 27th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 7th Photographic Group (Reconnaissance) (attached to VIII Air Force Service Command), moves from Mount Farm, England to Denain/Prouvy, France with F-5s.
|Source: THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II: COMBAT CHRONOLOGY, 1941-1945 by Carter / Mueller, the Office of Air Force History, |