|The first V-1 "buzz bomb" lands in S England; more land during the night of 13/14 Jun, and throughout the rest of the month.
STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): Bad weather cancels large-scale bombing of high priority targets in Germany; overcast bombing against tactical targets in NW France is undertaken:
Mission 409: In the first mission of the day cloud cover is less than anticipated and visual runs are made by 129 of 139 B-17s against Evreux/Fauville Airfield (37 bomb), Dreux Airfield (52 bomb) and St Andre de LEure (40 bomb); 30 B-17s are damaged; escort is provided by 101 of 113 P-51s dispatched; they claim 4-0-0 Luftwaffe aircraft.
Mission 410: In the second mission, 112 B-17s and 260 B-24s are dispatched:
1. B-17s to Beaumont-sur-Oise Airfield (41 bomb) and Beauvais/Nivelliers Airfield (56 bomb); 15 B-17s are damaged.
2. 148 B-24s to Dinard/Pleurtuit Airfield (10 bomb), Ploermel Bridge (26 bomb), Vannes Bride (19 bomb), Vicomte-sur-Rance Bridge (24 bomb), Montfort-sur-Meu Bridge (21 bomb), Porcaro Bridge (12 bomb) and 3 others hit targets of opportunity; 2 B-24s are lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 16 damaged; 1 airman is KIA and 19 MIA.
Escort for Mission 410 is provided by 12 P-38s, 47 P-47s and 174 P-51s; 1 P-51 is lost and the pilot is MIA.
Other fighter sorties during the day are:
1. 97 P-38s are dispatched on fighter-bomber missions (58 bomb) and 17 hit La Poissonniere Montjean; 2 P-38s are lost and the pilots are MIA.
2. 199 P-47s are dispatched to La Port Boulet (90 attack), Montlouis (24 attack), transport targets (33 attack) and Chinon (31 attack); they claim 2-0-0 Luftwaffe aircraft; 1 P-47 is lost and 1 damaged beyond repair; 2 pilots are MIA.
3. 35 P-51s fly escort for fighter bombers.
4. 12 P-38s and 35 P-47s escort Ninth Air Force bombers.
5. 62 of 64 P-38s fly patrol over the English Channel.
Mission 411: 8 of 8 B-17s drop leaflets on France during the night. 6 B-24s fly CARPETBAGGER missions over France.